|Department||Research Innovation and Policy Analysis – RIPA|
|Reports to||RIPA- Manager|
|Location||Dar es Salaam, Tanzania|
|Supervises:||Usually none, may at times supervise interns and any assigned staff|
|Key relationships||RIPA Program Officers|
A: CORE PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Core Purpose of the Unit
To undertake research, independent analysis of basic education policies, budgets and related issues; to monitor government actions, and to promote broader debate and advocacy among key policy actors. Further to conduct strategic engagements for advancing advocacy agenda of HakiElimu.
Overall Job Title’s Responsibilities
Monitor and track key developments in education sector’s financing, resources allocation and expenditures and advise HakiElimu accordingly. Undertake and effectively communicate analysis of these issues. Write, communicate and represent key HakiElimu positions effectively, and foster debate on the same. Monitoring of government’s transparency and accountability in the education sector by undertaking scientific researches and professional budget and policy analysis on basic education. He/she will also be responsible for strategic engagement and communication with Oversight bodies and policy makers on matters that relates to transparency and accountability on improving education financing.
B: MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitoring Education Financing (60%)
- Lead on the overall monitoring of education budgets including resources allocations, transparency and accountability of public resources in Education Sector.
- Carryout budget analysis of the education sector budget proposals, Budget Guidelines and Medium-Term Expenditure Framework and produce budget analysis reports and briefs that will be used to influence education budget planning for the forthcoming financial year.
- Design and implement National Public Expenditure Tracking Surveys of education resource allocation, disbursement and of capitation and development grants utilization.
- Analyse Financial and Performance Audit Reports of the education sector published by the Controller and Auditors General to generate financial management gaps in education sector and advice on actions to be taken to further HakiElimu interests.
- Lead on the overall survey of Open Budget Index for Tanzania and develop country brief basing on the Open Budget Survey final results and share the brief with stakeholders for advocacy purposes to promote budget transparency in Tanzania.
- Develop and manage rapid response mechanism on issues of budget, transparency and accountability.
- Strategic Engagement to advance HakiElimu’s policy and budget advocacy (30%)
- Promote broader public participation, debate and transparency in budget and policy engagement at different levels.
- Prepare and lead all pre-budget planning engagements and meetings to share and influence planning with Regional Administration and Local Government Parliamentary Committee, Social Services and Community Development Parliamentary Committee, Shadow Ministers for Education and Regional Administration and Local government and the office of Controller and Auditor General (CAG).
- Lead strategic engagements with the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, the President Office-Regional Administration and Local Government and other government related government institutions/ministries.
- Actively participate in key coalitions (particularly Budget Working Group of the Policy Forum), upcountry coalition/partners meetings, foster learning and joint action, and promote HakiElimu interests in education financing.
- General Responsibilities (10%)
- Successfully implement above responsibilities and assigned activities (and associated budgets) in work plans, consistent with HakiElimu Policies
- Contribute effectively to planning, monitoring and reporting of HakiElimu’s work
- Implement and foster adherence to the established HakiElimu policies, regulations, guidelines and procedures.
- Participate actively in organization wide learning and other joint activities.
- Undertake any other lawful tasks as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Participate in works of the HakiElimu editorial board, including advising on the adherence to the style guide and conducting editing as assigned by quality assurance.
- Other duties as required, including occasional work on weekends for which in time off in lieu can be taken.
C: PERSONAL SPECIFICATIONS, BEHAVIOURS AND CONDUCT
- Minimum Skills and Experience-Essentials
- University Degree in Economics, Public Financial Management, Business Administration, Development Economics or related area, master’s degree preferred.
- At least Five (5) years’ experience in working on budget analysis, Expenditure Tracking and Public Finance Management issues.
- Deep understanding of Tanzania Budget systems, Medium Term Expenditure Frameworks at central and local government authorities.
- Specific experience in Open Government Initiatives, Budget transparency and Social Accountability Monitoring
- Experience in facilitating strategic engagements with executives and oversight bodies in budget and policy influencing
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills, creativity, ability to see the ‘big picture’, to synthesize and understand complex issues quickly.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, ability to quickly summarize complex issues and communicate in an effective, clear and accessible manner.
- Keen appreciation of quality and standards and high personal integrity; able to take responsibility for delivering quality results despite challenges and serve as role model for others.
- Personal Attributes and behaviors
- Proactive and able to self-manage
- Highly organized and detail conscious
- Energetic and inspiring to young people
- A team player
- Able to communicate clearly to diverse audiences, including donors, private sector partners, staff, management and government officials
- Code of Conduct
- To uphold HakiElimu’s financial policies and procedures, staff code of conduct and values always during your post with the organization, acting as a role model in the course of your duties.
- You will Sign these documents upon joining the organization and be accountable to meet the standards.